Friday, September 12, 2008

Blog Envy

The more I dive into this cyber-world, the more I begin to enjoy it. It has been a treat to reconnect with old friends...a surreal experience to suddenly flash forward 15 years into their lives. I am writing again in a semi-meaningful way for the first time since, well, college. I find myself thinking about language and finding the funny side of family disasters because wouldn't that make a really great blog entry? Wait...let me go find my camera. This is an honest way to communicate with my friends and family about my ups and downs without running up an astronomical phone bill...and yet it's completely controlled and manipulated at the same time. I honestly wish I could devote more time to my site, but have tried to take a disciplined approach so I don't lose track of the time I live in the real world. I have been amazed at how big the blogosphere really is...there is a whole civilization right under my nose that I never knew existed even a few months ago. But there is a dark side to this new hobby that I have discovered lurking in obscure corners. It's Othello's green-eyed monster of jealousy.

As I visit more and more sites and smile at anecdotes or funny photos, the more I want my own pathetic and stunted web page to hide. Everyone, it seems, is full of engaging and witty dialogue; who knew there were so many undiscovered authors in the world? And the photography on some sites seems much more than amateur...maybe I shouldn't waste my money on family portraits...I should just ask one of my blogging friends to take pictures for me. Some sites are techno-fantastic which makes me feel like the girl in the computer lab who is taking the tutorial on how to use a "mouse." I find myself coveting backgrounds, layouts, applications, and oh such CUTE ideas! But don't worry. It's nothing serious. Thank you all you wonderful bloggers for inspiring me to think bigger even if right now I'm at a place where I'm barely maintaining my humble little corner of the universe.

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

I haven't been blogging very long either and am amazed at everything that is out there. Who knew that such a thing as a blogosphere even existed? And it is so entertaining, too.

Grendel's Dad said...

As a denizen of the internet, I find your naivete shocking.

Holly said...

Cami, it sure is great to see your amazing family. It has been way too long. In this post I think you have voiced what a lot of us are feeling. Thank goodness I have my little sister Lisa to instruct me in the fine are of blogging. She let me copy all of her cool ideas. In case you haven't seen it, here is her blog lisabrown.typepad.com. She is also the one that takes all my family pictures.

Hannah Stevenson said...

If it makes you feel any better Cami, I'm jealous of your blog!;) You are such a good writer...I wish I could express myself the way you do. We really need to get together and maybe I can show you some fun tips and tricks! I've discovered another dark side...I could sit on my bum and check out others lives all day long if I let myself...dangerous!