Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow and Other Four Letter Words

Two years ago my husband tried to soften the blow of leaving my warm and sunny Arizona home by saying--and this is a direct quote--"don't worry, they only get 3 or 4 snowstorms a winter in Utah. It's not that bad." Then last year we had a doozy of a winter with snow from October until May. Here is Isaac in our driveway last January:


This is January, mind you, we got at least another foot in February alone.

All the locals reassured me that last year was a fluke...the worst winter in a hundred years.

Here we are on December 19th and we've already had 4 BIG snowstorms... this week. They're expecting more for tomorrow, Monday, and Wednesday. And while some people use words like, "transformative, ethereal, and magical" to describe this weather phenomenon, I prefer, "bitter, treacherous, and messy." Anyone who tells you how "snow makes the whole world seem quiet and clean" has clearly never had to mop up the tracks left by snowboots all over the wood floors. I am well aware that everyone I know is getting a little tired of all my whining about snow; I'm pretty tired of it myself. I have a solution though--I just need to convince my husband that we can afford that winter home in Phoenix. After all, "they only get 3 or 4 heat waves there every year. It's not that bad."

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Utah has been getting more than their fair share of snow. We just got hit yesterday, but it never lasts long here. But it is still bitter cold with or without snow and I always remember walking around without jackets in North Carolina on Christmas Eve (while I am trying to make my children see while covering as much face as possible).

Cire said...

come on down to visit (and u can help clean our floors, too - kids get 'em dirty no matter what is outside) . . . ironically we went driving today just to try to find/visit some snow!

Kristine said...

I loved this! You can come stay with us when you get tired of the snow! We will come stay with you and ski:)! I am so glad to see you have a blog too! It is so much easier to keep in touch and up on what is happening! Kristine