Monday, April 6, 2009

Resolve

I love General Conference weekend. Only members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints could possibly view 8 hours of church as a "break."

For me, this event is a twice-a-year pep-talk.

It goes something like this:

"Hey Cami! You sure are great, and I sure appreciate you. I think you have the potential to be even greater."

"Because I think so much of you, I've picked out a few areas where I can tell you need a little bit of help. I'm just pointing them out to you because I know how happy it will make you to improve on them...and because I know you are just so great that you really can make a change. Now don't judge yourself too harshly or get so critical of your own faults that you suddenly have to just sit down in the road. I'm going to help you."

"I'm going to help you by reminding you of many great blessings in your life that you may sometimes forget to acknowledge. And sometimes blessings don't look like blessings when you first come across them. Hang in there, it is totally going to be worth it."

"I'm also going to help by warning you of some pitfalls ahead. Don't worry, I'll help guide you on a safer course."

"Can I remind you again just how great you are? Can I point out to you some of your strengths now? This is why I know you have the potential to become even stronger."

"Hey, you're looking good. This next six months are going to be a lot of work, but you are going to be great, I know it. Stick with it and we'll fine tune all your abilities."

"It's going to be too hard to do all of this yourself, so make sure you check back in on a regular basis."

"Now get out there and do your best! You're gonna be great."

I come out of the weekend with a firmer commitment to live a better life. And if I could say anything to my weekend's "trainers" it would be, "thanks, I needed that."

2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Amen and amen.

Charlotte said...

That was perfectly stated!