Monday, March 29, 2010

Cheezit the Wondercat

Seven years ago, we took our then three children to the Humane Society "adopt-a-pet" day to pick out a dog. After hours of petting, barking, and licking we came home with this guy:

We named him Cheezit and embarked on the first of many cat adventures. A couple of years after we got our kitty friend, Cory started telling the kids "Cheezit the Wondercat" stories at bedtime. These stories revealed that Cheezit was actually a crime-fighting feline who defeated a variety of animal nemeses along with the aid of his sidekick, Dumb Dog. It turns out Cheezit speaks with a British accent. Two years ago, Dumb Dog was replaced with our more recent pet addition, Grendel the Dog.

Last week, we took a sick kitty to the vet and discovered after a number of tests and procedures that he had very advanced cancer. We had to let him go humanely on Friday.

We are all still very sad here, although probably none more than me. It's still hard to write or talk about it. We got the cat for our kids, but as it turns out, he became more my pet than anyone else's. I guess that is the natural result of being the one to take care of all of his needs. Over the weekend, I began writing what basically was becoming a cat eulogy and decided that I didn't want to post it here. I'll save it for my kids. I wrote it for them because I know they will forget their first pet soon...which is as it should be. Still, I want them to remember something, and I want to remember too. Right now there is a very present but absent weight at the foot of my bed when I lay down at night.

I hope there's a place in heaven for good pets. And I hope that "Cheezit the Wondercat" will survive to fight another day...one bedtime story at a time.


2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Sniff. Sweet little kitty.

Ang said...

That is heartbreaking. I am so sorry to hear that. We loved cheezit and I loved the fact that the kids would always try to pry it out from under the couch when we came over. Loosing a pet is tough, and it seems like mom always gets hit the hardest.