Monday, August 2, 2010

Adventures in Girls Camp

I spent the last two weeks at Girls Camp and Youth Conference. So yeah, I'm tired and a little stinky, but I had a great time and learned some valuable things.


For example, it turns out that I have been wasting way too much time on sleep--I can get by on much less than I thought. A cold shower in the morning is as good as 2 hours of rapid eye movement, and a handful of red vines equals at least a good 45 minute nap.


Also, it's a stretch to call what we did at Girls camp, "camping." Anyone who has had the privilege of staying at the LDS-owned Heber Valley Camp will tell you that you ain't exactly roughing it. Cabins with electricity and heaters, hot showers, refrigerators and sinks don't really qualify as rudimentary necessities. But in all fairness, we did eat outside...near dirt...and trees. I even got a few mosquito bites and had to hike a good .02 miles to the nearest icemaker.


And it turns out that sleep deprivation and Spartan accomodations make me a little punch drunk. So maybe I did a one-woman show about a synchronized swimmer's dream on top of a picnic table. And perhaps I may have shared an impersonation or too..(hey, those girls wanted to see me do Elvis!) and there may or may not have been some beat-boxing. But fortunately what happens at Girls Camp stays at Girls Camp. Just don't go poking around You Tube.


I learned that "I can do hard things."


Getting 36 girls to go on a hike is hard.


Really hard.


Totally worth it though...someday I might post about the pep talk I gave to get us out on the grueling 1.5 mile death march. Really...college football coaches would be proud. I hear they might even make it into a movie...Jennifer Garner is in talks to take on the role.


But ultimately, the lesson I came away with from my week in the wild is that I love these girls! Every single one of them...even the whiney, hike-hating ones. It is a privilege to spend this time with them; I hope I get to go again next year. Cross your fingers that I don't get released when the bishop gets wind of those unfortunate you-tube clips.



Love,

Esther

2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Lol, you crack me up. Great post. Sounds like it was quite the adventure. The troops at home are glad you made it back. :)

cjnichols said...

Oh, how I miss those girls - and you! Everyone said it was a great camp! Now, I'm off to search youtube..