Friday, October 17, 2008

Travelogue Stardate 10-1-1

Don't you hate it when people send you email bragging about their most recent exotic vacation? That's why I like to post my bragging vacation accounts right here on my own blog instead. So much less obnoxious that way.

Cory and I just got back from a week in Oahu...that's right...just us..no kids (thanks Mom and Dad!) and now it's time to journal the highlights of a relaxing, tropical getaway. I promise only to hit the high points and not record an annoying play by play of all the relaxing hours on beautiful beaches with a refreshing, tropical drink in one hand.

Here are a few of my favorite things (cue Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music).


We tried to balance the week out by spending complete days sitting on the beach doing nothing but reading, snorkeling, and the crossword puzzle and days driving around to all the spectacular sites on the island. I can't decide which kinds of days I like better. Snorkeling was a surprising highlight--we didn't go anywhere special, just right there at the resort where we were staying. I was pretty sure I would see rocks, sand, and maybe a fish or two if I got lucky. Imagine my surprise when I put my mask in the water and discovered entire schools of brightly colored fish, urchins, corals and even sea turtles within arm's length. Completely surreal to see the white legs of tourists splashing in the surf just yards away from me while I followed a brightly colored humuhumunukunukuapua'a along the rocks (yes, it's a real fish, look it up). Then after soaking up enough salt water, I was perfectly content to dry off on a chair in the sand while Cory played volleyball.
The last two pictures represent the great sushi episode known as "Before and After." Okay, I know they are out of focus, but they're also priceless so into the blog they go! Cory is pretty into sushi these days and so convinced his sister Kim and her friend Becky to try it for the first time with us. Can I take a minute here to point out that neither Kim nor Becky are exactly known for great culinary adventure and risk-taking. I think their Island dining highlights include Wendys and Taco Bell at the top of their Zagat rating system. But they were good sports and went along with us to "Banzai Sushi Bar." After much trepidation, spit, and tears, they formed a firm and unchangeable opinion on this particular type of cuisine. This is a case where a picture is definitely worth any of my thousand words...even if it is out of focus.



Cory and I took one day to drive down from the north shore where we were staying, to follow along the eastern coast of Oahu. This drive is fairly rural and dotted with small, charming villages, agriculture, beaches, and shrimp farms. We made it all the way to Pali Lookout, which is a jungle-covered cliff where you can see everything along the eastern shore. It was spectacular..cliffs covered in dense growth, Diamond Head Crater, enormous suburbs tucked between the ocean and the mountains, inland lagoons, all in the same view.


Here is sunset from our hotel. The whole week, I was disappointed with my inability to transfer the gorgeous surroundings into my photography. This picture still doesn't quite do the scene justice, but was something of a triumph for my photo-inept self.


I'm no World War II buff, but our trip to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial was sobering. It's hard to view this peaceful, isolated place as the site of battleships and torpedoes. Nearly 70 years after the Arizona and most of her crew were sunk to the bottom of the harbor, the ship remains there and even continues to emit oil into the water.


The dwindling survivors refer to this phenomenon as "the tears of Arizona."


The gold at the end of this rainbow is the Dole Pineapple plantation...mmm...sorry, got a bit distracted there...hold on a minute while I go wipe off a little drool.




In honor of my father--aka "waterfall hunter"-- we made a valiant effort in this trip to visit a waterfall...Hawaii is famous for them right? Our first effort to seek out "Sacred Falls" involved a drive down the coast, a visit to "Uncle Bobo's," some quick Blackberry research, and the discovery that even though this waterfall shows up on the tourist map, it's been closed for almost ten years after a tragic Mothers' Day landslide that killed 3 people. Not to be discouraged, a few days later, we paid the $10 park fee for "Waimea Falls," hiked the paved trail, began to grow concerned as we ambled next to a very dry river-bed, and discovered that October is the dry season for waterfalls in Hawaii. The guides at the top assured us that they were expecting the falls to open up at any moment, but in the meantime, this pathetic trickle was the only fruit of our earnest labors.



Try as I might, I just can't find a way to capture 15 foot waves into pixels. Surfing looks fun and terrifying at the same time. We watched one surfer ride the waves into shore with a little boy no more than 4 riding along the same surf board on his tummy.





My favorite "field trip" for the week was to the Polynesian Cultural Center. The grounds are divided into different island nations, and at each "village" natives of the island teach you about their history and culture. I love folk music and dancing...and it was great to hear young people who are passionate about their heritage. If we had the time, I would have gladly devoted another complete day to the PCC. The video above is something I taped for Anna at the pageant of canoes. (she's crazy about hula dancing)


Our village tours and activities were followed by a traditional luau and an evening show complete with grass skirts, ukuleles and fire dancers...amazing!


We got to attend the Primary Sacrament Meeting Presentation in the Laie 2nd Ward. Guess what? Sunbeams everywhere are shy and scared about saying their parts into the microphone. And the popcorn effect that happens when kids get up to sing a song must be a universal phenomenon. We also were able to visit the Hawaii, Laie temple just before it will be closed for 18 months of refurbishing.



Someone told us not to miss out on "Puka Dog" in Honolulu because despite the unappealing name, this was the greatest hot dog you would ever have. I wouldn't call myself a hotdog connoisseur, but I have to admit that it was delicious. They toast the bun on the inside, fill it with garlicy-lemon sauce, pineapple salsa and tangy mustard, and then stick the hot dog in. In an ironic twist, while reading the Honolulu newspaper dining section, there was an article about this Cult-following Restaurant. You'll never guess where they ship the hot dogs from? If you guessed Utah, then give yourself a pat on the back for understanding the meaning of the word "ironic."

After a tedious day of travel, we are home with sunburns and sandy suitcases. Next up? It's the kids' turn. I'm taking them to Colorado to visit with cousins while they are off track next week.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I'm jealous - it looks like you had a fabulous time in a beautiful spot.

Charlotte said...

Definitely jealous. Sounded like a lot of fun (especially a whole week without the kids). Good luck in Colorado next week.

Sarah said...

That sounds so fun!

I LOVE it when people talk about the good things that happened to them--like trips to exotic places! I don't think it is annoying at all! I am happy for you!

I'm glad you had so much fun!

-Sarah

Kimberlee said...

Hey, I did try all the food at the luau just to be fair. I don't like fish cooked, not so surprising I didn't take to it raw. Icky. But I might be willing to try it again someday. Becky, prolly not. HA! That was hilarious...