Monday, March 23, 2009

Ode to a Utah Spring

Oh March, you seductive vixen!
You bluster in with wild skies
a determined winter ready to make its last stand.
And when the tantrum is over
you turn shamefaced and meek.
And to atone for your brutish behavior
you tantalize us with a glimmer of freshness...
the scent of raw earth and early budding,
fair skies and mild afternoons,
peeks of early blossoms and daffodils.
Reluctantly I find myself amidst the enticement
daring to hope.
Casting off the shackles of a long, dark cold,
I'm persuaded to believe in flip-flops
and open windows
and fixed-up bicycles.
With tentative steps I emerge
from a weary hibernation.
You beckon me closer
with your clear countenance and winsome eyes.
And when my wavering hope is fixed and faithful belief,
You drop 4 inches of snow on my upturned face
on the 23rd day of your vindictive debut.


2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Love it!!!!! Exactly, exactly, exactly.

Charlotte said...

My thought exactly. I have tried to retire my winter coat in favor of a spring jacket, but today it caused me to absolutely freeze.