Monday, August 24, 2009

Bear With Me..

I just got back from a 10 day vacation and I have a whole lotta traveling stories to purge..I mean journal. We traveled over 1200 miles so there's a lot of ground to cover. I think I'll shoot for one story every day until I make myself so sick of rehashing that I can let it go. But while the memories are fresh...

We decided to make the long trek to Des Moines, IA to visit the in-laws this year by car instead of plane. I had this brilliant idea that this would be a great chance to stop and visit all the wonderful church history sites between Salt Lake and Nauvoo. I failed to recognize that this "brilliant" plan meant 5 of the 10 days of our vacation would include a large amount of time in the car. Still, I decided to make the best of things by breaking up the trip a little. Which is what led us to...

The "Great River Road Archway Monument!"

This is a museum in Kearney, Nebraska built directly over I-80 that is dedicated to all eras of western migration. When you enter, the staff dressed in period costumes direct you up a long escalator to start your "tour." You wear headsets that play repeating broadcasts that change as you move throughout the rooms. What you hear depends on what mannequin display you happen to be standing near.

It was noisy, hokey, and mildly informative. I loved every second! This is classic Americana at its finest...Disneyland, eat your heart out!



Zachary cried when we had to leave.

So if you ever find yourself in "middle of nowhere," Nebraska. Don't let the chance to visit this little gem pass you by. It was worth every single penny!

1 comment:

Ang said...

I am so excited to hear all about it. I bet you all had a fantastic time. We have to catch up soon.