Sunday, August 10, 2008

Canning Season


Fruit is ripening on trees all over Utah and that can only mean one thing...time to get out the kettle and the mason jars! I love canning, and it has become something of a predictable fall cycle in my life. It goes something like this:


Phase 1-The romantic

There's something so wholesome and rewarding about preserving food in jars. It's like taking a step back into a slower-paced life and a simpler time--full of nostalgic reminiscences about standing at a kitchen sink between my mom and my grandmother.


Phase 2-The philosopher

One of the great things about canning is that it forces you to take a moment from a frenetic life pace to stand still. While you steam, peel, chop and process, your mind is free to meditate and ponder things simple and great.


Phase 3-The homemaker

I love to see the finished jars in all their jewel-toned glory lining my shelves. It must be the gatherer/preserver side of my genetic make-up. There is something so satisfying about opening a jar of summer that I have saved and serving it to my family in January.


Phase 4-The mother

Nothing builds my kids' esteem more than working. They are curious about all the apparatus and thrilled when mom entrusts them with a knife and encourages them to chop; or a spoon and depends on them for the stirring.


Phase 5-Mommy dearest

My children are hiding from me in the basement; I think I saw my eleven-year-old looking up child labor statutes on the Internet. There has been a household apricot boycott.


Phase 6-The housekeeper

I washed every pot, pan, spoon, spatula, mixing bowl, and measuring cup I own 7 times today. I mopped my floor with every product I could find at the supermarket labeled "for tough stains," and I still think I will have to paint my floor "tomato juice red." Our cat jumped up on the counter and found his paws glued there with jam...we removed him surgically.


Phase 7-The pessimist

Who was I kidding? None of my kids will touch this stuff anyway.


Phase 8-The feminist

This is yet another way to trap a woman in her kitchen for endless hours with only her own thoughts to drive her to insanity. Whoever invented mason jars was definitely a man.


Fortunately by the time I hit phase 9 (that's the one when jars start getting thrown at husbands) the harvest is over and I have all winter to enjoy the "fruits" of my labor. So where am I now? Somewhere between phase 3 and 4...I can keep this up at least through September.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

That is a classic!! Somehow I always skipped the beginning phases, thinking right away about 6-8 and have never canned in my adult life. I've been meaning to get around to it (now I will think of your awesome post every time I do)

Unknown said...

Beautiful apricots! They will be tasting mighty good in March when it is STILL snowing...

Anonymous said...

Lol, love it. It almost inspired me to try canning. Emphasis on 'almost' since it would require that I try a lot of other things first . . . namely using the stove. ;)

Susan said...

I've never canned anything in my life, but it sure sounds fun :)

Hannah Stevenson said...

I loved this canning commentary! I really do want to get together...I am still feeling a little under the weather...maybe in September? P.S. Thanks for the congrats and YES I need to talk to Nick and his wife just about the logistics!