Sunday, August 3, 2008

City Beautiful

We are back from our final summer vacation. Part of me is a little melancholy about the end of summer, the approaching of another school year, the endless months of snow in my future. But after spending 10 hours in cars, airports, and airplanes with 4 children, I think I'm okay with a less jet-set life.(World-travelers at the airport, ready to set off on exciting adventures.)

Our final summer destination was my first foray into the Midwest. My mom is from Nebraska, but I have never actually been to this region of the country. My preconceived notions of the place were fulfilled by cornfields as far as the eye can see, humidity that created a frizz-fest with my hair, and an evening downpour complete with tornado warning. What surprised me was that the land is actually more rolling than I thought, that there are very tall buildings in Des Moines (you thought everything was up to date in Kansas City? you should see this place), and I never knew about the whole water tower in every town thing. It made me wonder what these people think about the land out west and southwest where I have spent my entire life. Do they assume we all wear spurs, grow cactus in our back-yards, or travel in oxen-driven wagons? Probably not.
(I was not the only one suffering from humid-hair.)


(Miles and miles of rolling cornfields)

Why Iowa for our end-of-summer rendezvous? For some of the 3 people who read this blog who may not know, my father-in-law is currently the mission president in Des Moines. This was our chance to reaquaint my children with their other grandparents, and see the mission couple in action. We had a wonderful time, and it helped me to be able to visualize them in their new sphere. They are both SO busy but clearly happy and willing to make this sacrifice. And the missionaries only drive them crazy once or twice a day.
(Grandpa in action in the mission office--certainly my children are no more distracting than 150 missionaries with cell phones.)

After spending 3 days in Des Moines, we all packed up (grandparents included) and made the 4 hour drive to Nauvoo, Illinois. We spent a happy two days exploring the sites of some of our early church history, and watching a number of fun plays and shows put on by the missionaries and other volunteers. I feel like we barely scratched the surface and could easily have spent another two days there, but fortunately this mission president gig is 3 years long so we will have another opportunity. The Nauvoo pageant itself was wonderful...definitely my favorite of the cultural displays, but don't underestimate the charm of a little evening performance by the name of "Sunset on the Mississippi." All the senior couples in the area put this little song and dance variety hour together...it is charming, silly, and downright hysterical to watch these sweet older couples dancing and singing along in pioneer garb. Grandma and grandpa had told me earlier in the week about plans after their mission, including going on another mission (where they don't have to be in charge of a lot of 19-year-old boys). Man I hope they get called to Nauvoo...I would pay good money to see my father-in-law doing the box-step in "Sunset on the Mississippi."
(Warming up for the show.)

The highlights of Nauvoo for me were the Nauvoo temple, Carthage, and the pageant. Cory and I were able to do a session at the temple while the grandparents bravely took on my 4 little ones. As Cory said, "They make all temples beautiful. They made the Nauvoo temple just a little bit nicer." It was wonderful to be there. The day we had planned to see the pageant, a huge storm came in around 4:00 in the afternoon. As we discussed other options for the evening, the people in Nauvoo kept reassuring us that the pageant had never been cancelled for weather. True to their faith, things cleared up and we were able to watch the event from the 4th row. It was inspiring.
(Here is a picture from my favorite scene in the pageant.)
Carthage, like many other things, was different than I have imagined it. For one thing, it's just right in the middle of town. I think there is a gas station across the street. Also, for someone who has grown up in the church, there were several details about the martyrdom of the prophet Joseph Smith that I don't think I had ever heard. Or maybe, they became more clear when I could visually place them within the building where they happened. It is a somber and peaceful place.
(A semi-serious moment in front of Carthage jail.)

It is hard to know how much my children got out of the experience. I feel like I went back and forth between explaining elements of church history and yelling at them to get off of things and to stop poking/chasing/teasing each other. They were relatively good for children that were expected to sit and be quiet so often. (The more active parts of Nauvoo we had planned to participate in the afternoon that it poured rain.)
(Anna and Grandma in the women's garden)
(This missionary sister works in the restored printshop and will forever be hallowed by Anna as the woman who taught her the true meaning of the word, "dingbat.")
Still, there were a couple of sober moments with children that made it seem they felt the spirit of the place. Zachary wouldn't really choose a favorite part, but he told me that next year his favorite part will be going to the temple because he will be old enough then. I think he can really sense the importance of the temple. After the pageant, both Noah and Zachary were smiling and for the first time in a long time NOT acting silly. I took a minute with Anna at the Christus statue, and she asked why the statue had holes in the hands. As I explained what wicked men had done to kill the Savior, Anna started to cry.

This post is way too long, but we have been gone so long that there is a lot to include. This really is the Readers' Digest version of events. After Nauvoo, we headed back to Des Moines for 24 hours and then flew home via Omaha, Nebraska. We crossed the Mississippi and Missouri rivers twice in one week, and I visited my mother's home state for the first time in my life. It is good to be home.

(Anna fell asleep on the plane on the way home in literally 12 seconds. She asked me a question, I turned to ask Cory, I turned back and she was asleep. A perfect illustration of our state of mind at the end of vacation.)

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

We lived for two years in the Nauvoo stake and I loved the area. When we moved to Utah my daughter's curly hair became mysteriously straight. We drove through Des Moines whenever we went to visit Peter's sister in Minnesota (and those were the only radio stations we got in our rural northern Missouri city). I would love to go to the temple there someday, it wasn't built when we lived there, although we went back to see the open house. Glad you had such a great vacation.

Larissa Cherpeski said...

What is the definition of dingbat?
Larissa