Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Boo to the end of Daylight Savings!

Did you know that in the state of Arizona they don't ever do any daylight savings? This means you don't go through the whole "spring forward, fall back" clock-changing episode twice a year that the rest of the country puts up with. So it has felt something like a cruel joke to move back to Utah and suddenly just as I'm psyching myself out for approaching winter, losing an entire hour of evening daylight. When it gets dark before dinner, I begin to panic and even feel a little claustrophobic as if the whole day is suddenly closing in around me and I have still not finished all I've meant to accomplish for the day...and now it's a heavy darkness and my kids aren't finished with their homework...and Cory hasn't even gotten home from work so he must be staying late, except he's not really late, it just feels like he is...and I still have a load of laundry running...and I have to rush, rush, rush to get kids ready for bed or it will be too late for me to have a moment of quiet...and HELP! I'm having trouble breathing, I'm running around trying to do something without enough focus to see anything through. So my point is, who do I need to get in contact with to eliminate this whole frustrating system? My local Congressman? The governor? Oprah?


Then, to add insult to injury, I woke up this morning to this:



Ah, the humanity!

It almost makes me think that the daylight savings guys got together with Mother Nature and decided to suck the joy out of my life all in the course of one weekend.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I totally agree. I have never liked daylight savings. And I get that same feeling when it is dark so early: you mean bed time isn't for 3 more hours!!

We have been lucky here, though, yesterday we didn't even need jackets. But I can tell it is coming ...

Susan said...

Daylight savings, what's that? Hee hee. I guess there are some good things about Arizona. Actually, it's FINALLY cooling down around here - I'm wearing long sleeves and lovin' it. Enjoy all the seasons up there!